10 Most Important Property and Building Laws You Need to Know as a Builder


Thinking of entering the construction game or upskilling from a trade? To become a builder, you’ll need to become an expert in your local building laws.

Here we take you through the 10 most important building laws and regulation you need to know to do your work safely and run a successful building business.

1. You need a registration

If you want to do domestic building work that is worth more than $10,000, you need to be a registered builder with the Victorian Building Authority.

Not only is this absolutely required by law but it’s getting harder to slip by without one. More customers are becoming aware of this requirement and are unlikely to choose an unregistered builder.

2. You need to be qualified

Aside from your registration with the VBA, you’re going to need formal training in building and construction to qualify for the role of builder.

Among the most relevant qualifications are the CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) and the CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building).

Do the Cert 4 in Building and Construction if you want to work on low rise residential projects, and do the Diploma of Building and Construction if you want to work on mid-rise residential projects.

When you do either the Cert 4 or Diploma with Builders Academy Australia, you also get a free Builders Registration Mentoring Program. This gives you one-on-one support with an expert to help you submit your registration application to the VBA.

3. You need experience

Getting a builders registration with the VBA is no piece of cake. Every year, hundreds of applicants failed to become registered builders.

That’s why we offer our students of certificates and diplomas the free Builders Registration Mentorship Program, giving our students a higher success rate with their applications.

An important thing to know before you try for your builders registration is that you have to prove you have had enough experience.

When you get qualified with BAA we help guide you in your journey to getting this experience and/or proving it on your application.

4. There are different licences in each state

In case the builders registration process wasn’t already hard enough, you also need separate registrations or licences for each state.

In Victoria, we call it the “builders registration.” In New South Wales and Queensland, it’s called the  “builders licence”.

Make sure you have the right registration or licence for the state you want to work in.

Property and Building Laws

5. You need the right registration type

If you visit the VBA website, you’ll see that there are dozens of classifications of registered builders.

For example, the two main categories of domestic builder are the ‘unlimited’ and the ‘limited’.

Building law requires that you have the correct registration for the type of building you want to do.

6. You can get RPL

At Builders Academy Australia, we have had the pleasure of training up a huge range of builders, from kids fresh out of school to seasoned older tradies.

Don’t let building laws and regulations that require you to have qualifications, experience and a registration put you off.

If you have a lot of experience but no qualifications, we can help you use recognition of prior learning (RPL) to prove you are qualified without having to do full construction courses.

Property and Building Laws

7. You need to follow the NCC

Even though builders registrations are regulated by states, builders across the country have to comply with the National Construction Code (NCC).

The NCC describes all the building laws to make sure buildings in Australia are constructed to a high standard. When you do building and construction courses with us you learn all about how to comply with the NCC.

8. You need to follow the BCA

Perhaps you’ve heard of the building code of Australia? This is actually volumes 1 and 2 of the National Construction Code.

When you become a builder with us, you’ll know all about how to use the BCA to complete compliant buildings and structures.

9. The NCC and BCA are always evolving

Remember those buildings in Melbourne and Sydney that went up in flames because they had flammable cladding? Since then, property development laws have been updated to make sure no buildings ever get built with flammable cladding to prevent such tragedies from happening again.

These laws are updated by adding new details into the NCC and BCA.  When you become a builder you will need to check these references regularly to make sure you’re up to speed with the latest building laws and regulations.

10. You need building permits

You’ll be surprised by how much building work requires permits, from large-scale multi-residential developments to the smallest backyard renovations.

As a builder, you’ll need to know how to check the property development laws in Victoria and apply for permits for each and every project you work on.


Want to become a registered builder? Chat with a course advisor about doing your Cert 4 or diploma of building and construction. Call us on 1300 534 363 (LEGEND) or complete the callback form and we’ll get back to you soon.