Building and Construction Certificate IV
A certificate IV qualification is your foundation for success in building and construction.
Certificate IV in Building and Construction
Learn how to plan, coordinate and complete small to medium residential and commercial buildings from start to finish.Career Outcome
Builder or get into construction management
Study in-person or online
42-52 weeks part-time
Graduates earn $60,000 - $200,000*
Certificate IV In Plumbing And Services (Operations)
This course is the next step to gaining the qualification you need to become a licensed plumber.Career Outcome
41 weeks, including 4 practical days
Graduates earn $62,000 - $90,000*
Why do a certificate IV?
A certificate IV will empower you to choose your career path and build on your existing skills and knowledge. You could further your career in building, construction or plumbing.
Plus with additional experience, you could progress into leadership roles for building and construction projects such as a manager, supervisor, coordinator or planner.
Study in-person, online at your own pace or as part of our virtual classroom
Courses developed for working tradies who want to advance their career
Two streams depending on your years of experience
Read the success stories of the building legends who have completed a certificate IV
MEET OUR CERT IV GRADUATES
MEET ANDREW – Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services
We met with Andrew, from Geelong, to talk about what prompted him to advance his plumbing profession.Watch more
MEET ADAM – Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services
Adam is a certificate III and IV graduate at BAA. Now, he’s running his own construction business.Watch more
MEET GREG – Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services
Find out why Greg studied a certificate IV to help run his own crews and build specialist homes.Watch more
Frequently asked questions
What will I study in a certificate IV course?
Depending on which course you choose, your learning outcomes will be different. A certificate IV provides great, practical knowledge if you’re looking to get your registration or licence!
You can expect a comprehensive curriculum that covers a wide range of topics and practical skills relevant to the building and construction industry. The content and subjects covered may vary depending on the course you choose, but here are some common areas of study that you can expect to learn:
- Construction Methods and Techniques:
- Learning about different construction methods and techniques used in residential projects, commercial projects, and industrial projects
- Studying structural principles, construction materials, and construction systems.
- Construction Project Management:
- Understanding the fundamentals of project quality management techniques in the building and construction context.
- Learning about project planning, scheduling, and resource management.
- Developing skills in project coordination, communication, and problem-solving.
- Building Codes, Regulations and Compliance:
- Studying relevant building regulations, standards, and building codes of practice.
- Understanding the legal and compliance requirements for building and construction projects.
- Gaining knowledge of occupational health and safety regulations and practices.
- Estimating and Costing:
- Learning how to prepare accurate cost estimates and construction budgets.
- Understanding the factors influencing project costs and how to manage them effectively.
- Developing skills in cost analysis, pricing, and tender preparation.
- Communication and Teamwork:
- Enhancing your communication skills to effectively collaborate with clients, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Learning techniques for effective teamwork, conflict resolution, and negotiation.
- Developing the ability to present information and ideas professionally.
- Workplace Health and Safety:
- Gaining knowledge of occupational health and safety regulations and practices.
- Understanding risk management, hazard identification, and control measures.
- Developing skills to create safe work environments and promote a culture of safety.
Excel in the building and construction industry
By studying a Certificate IV course, you will acquire the practical knowledge and skills required to excel. You will be equipped with the expertise necessary to contribute to building and construction projects, whether as a tradesperson, supervisor, project coordinator, or aspiring builder.
Builders Academy Australia’s experienced trainers and industry-relevant resources will guide you through your learning journey, ensuring that you thrive in your chosen field.
Will I be licensed upon completion?
If you want to become a builder or a licensed plumber, you’ll need to get registered by the relevant state licensing body/ authority. A certificate IV course is a valuable achievement on your pathway to achieving this.
Can I study a certificate IV online?
Yes, absolutely! At Builders Academy Australia, we offer flexible study options, including online learning, to cater to the diverse needs of our students. We understand it can be hard to find time outside of your building and construction workplace. Our virtual classroom provides a dynamic and interactive learning environment that brings the classroom experience directly to your home.
Here are some of the benefits of studying a Certificate IV course online:
Convenience and Flexibility
Study from the comfort of your own home, eliminating the need for travel or commuting. Create a study schedule that fits around your existing commitments, allowing you to balance work, family, and other responsibilities. Plus access course materials and resources at any time, giving you the flexibility to learn at your own pace.
Live Trainer-Led Sessions
Engage in live, real-time sessions conducted by experienced industry trainers as part of our virtual classroom. Participate in interactive discussions, ask questions, and receive immediate feedback. Benefit from the expertise and guidance of trainers who have practical building and construction experience.
Interactive Learning Environment
Connect with like-minded individuals in the virtual classroom, fostering a sense of community and collaboration. Engage in group activities, discussions, and peer-to-peer learning. This will help you develop valuable networking relationships with classmates and industry professionals.
Support from Construction Industry Trainers
Receive ongoing support from our dedicated trainers who are readily available to answer your questions and provide guidance throughout your learning journey. Students will benefit from their industry insights and practical knowledge to enhance your understanding of the course material. Plus get personalised feedback on your assessments and projects, helping you grow and improve your skills.
Structured Learning Experience
Our virtual classroom offers a structured learning experience, providing a clear course structure and a logical progression of topics. Access comprehensive learning resources, including video tutorials, interactive presentations, and online assessments. You can stay organised and track your progress through our user-friendly learning management system.
Embrace the advantages of technology in your learning journey, utilising multimedia resources, online tools, and virtual simulations. Develop digital literacy skills that are essential in today’s technologically advanced construction industry.
By choosing to study a certificate IV course online, you can enjoy the convenience, flexibility, and interactivity of our virtual classroom while gaining the same high-quality education as our on-campus students. Builders Academy Australia’s online learning platform is designed to provide a rich and engaging educational experience that prepares you for success.
What careers can I pursue with a certificate IV?
Upon completion of your Certificate IV in Building and Construction, you’ll have a wide range of job opportunities available.
Building and construction workplace opportunities
- Builder: As a registered builder, you will have the expertise to oversee and manage construction projects from start to finish. You will be responsible for coordinating trades, ensuring compliance with building codes and regulations, and delivering high-quality projects to clients.
- Site Manager: In this role, you will be in charge of managing construction sites, supervising workers, and ensuring the smooth execution of projects. Your responsibilities will include scheduling, coordinating resources, monitoring progress, and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Foreman: As a foreman, you will play a crucial role in overseeing the day-to-day operations at a construction site. You will coordinate and direct workers, manage subcontractors, and ensure that work is carried out efficiently and according to plans and specifications.
- Construction Manager: With a Certificate IV qualification, you can pursue a career as a construction manager. In this role, you will oversee multiple construction projects, manage budgets and timelines, liaise with stakeholders, and ensure that projects are delivered successfully with the best project quality management techniques.
- Licensed Plumber: If you specialise in plumbing, obtaining a plumbing license can open up opportunities for you to work as a licensed plumber. You will be responsible for installing, repairing, and maintaining plumbing systems in residential, commercial, and industrial settings.
These roles offer diverse career paths, allowing you to oversee a building and construction project, manage teams, and specialise in specific trades on the building and construction site.
Start your journey towards a rewarding career with Builders Academy Australia.
Is government funding available for me?
BAA’s training services are delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth funding to eligible students. Check if you’re eligible for state government funding: Funding Eligibility Indicator here or speak to our course advisors on 1300 534 363.
What do I need to start a Cert IV building and construction course
Don’t stress about building and construction materials. Before starting our courses, there are a few basic entry requirements and resources you’ll need:
- A computer or laptop with Microsoft Office
- Internet access
- Being available during the hours set on the timetable
Depending on the certificate IV course that you will be taking, prior learning may also be required. For the complete enrolment checklist, check the certificate IV course guide.
Do I need experience in building and construction projects?
In some cases, we run two separate streams, one for people with industry experience on a building and construction site and one for those with less experience.
Let us help you find the right course
Request a callback to chat with our friendly
team about your study options.