What you need to know about changes to builder registration and licensing in 2023


If you’ve heard about the changes to the trade license and trades registration in Victoria in 2023 but you’re not sure what it’s all about, then you’ve come to the right place. 

Here, we’ll explain the changes to the trades registration and trade license in Victoria. If you’re a registered builder or working in building and construction, these changes may apply to you — so be sure to pay close attention to see if you’re affected.

What changes have been made?

In recent years, the Victorian Government made some changes to the Building Act 1993. 

They are calling these changes the Building Amendment (Registration of Building Trades and Other Matters) Act 2018. The aim of this is to ensure certain trades practitioners have proper licensing and registration. Certain building work will also need licenses or registrations where it might not have before.

Who is affected?

Not all people working on a building site need to be registered or licensed. 

However, builders whose trades are listed as a “prescribed trade” must now apply for the relevant registration or licensing.

I’m a domestic builder. Am I affected?

If you are a Registered Domestic Builder (Unlimited) (DB-Us), then you are already allowed to do all types of domestic building work in Victoria. 

This means that you do not have to apply for registration or licensing for a particular trade. For example, you don’t have to apply to be a Domestic Builder (Limited) since your current qualification already covers this.

What do I have to do?

To be a registered tradesperson or registered builder in Victoria, you have to submit an application to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). You need to choose the category of domestic builder — specifically, a Limited (DB-L) registration.

To be a licensed trade, you need to submit a separate application.

What’s the difference between registration and licensing?

A registered trade or a registered builder can work as both a contractor or employee. 

In contrast, a trade who only holds a license is just allowed to work on a building site as an employee. A licensed trade cannot be a contractor.

diploma building and construction

How Builders Academy Australia can help

The changes that we’ve specified here for the building industry in 2023 impact building and construction subcontractors, as well as trades working as subcontractors who are not registered.

Builders Academy Australia have dedicated licensing and registration specialists who are here to help you work out what you need to action. Our staff can give you advice and information on your next steps to getting your license or registration, so that you can continue working.

Should I get a building and construction certificate?

If you want to get a trades certificate, Builders Academy Australia offers top-notch training across many sites in Victoria. With over 2,000 current students, we are one of Victoria’s most trusted training providers.

We deliver nationally recognised qualifications. These help you to meet the requirements needed to obtain your VBA registration — but they can also help you gain even more skills and knowledge, which can open up future job opportunities such as site management.

What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?

We also understand that you might already have plenty of skills and experience in the building and construction industry. 

In this case, we offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Through this process, you get your certificate by demonstrating your existing skills and knowledge, without having to go back to trades school on a full-time basis (and sacrifice your income for a short period of time).

Learn more about getting your builders license

Builders Academy Australia can keep you up to date with everything you need to know about the building and construction industry in 2023. 

Simply fill out this form to receive emails from us with important updates and opportunities.


This article has been updated and republished on 23 December 2022.