Learn How to Get Your Builders Licence in Victoria


Getting your builder’s licence in Victoria will open up heaps of opportunities. It can help you get a good job—and if it interests you—become a supervisor or start your own business.

But the process is not a simple one. You might be wondering whether you need a certificate or diploma, whether you need to do a builders licence course and how much experience is required.

The answers to these questions depend on what type of builder you want to be.

Read on to find out how to get your builder’s licence in Victoria.

Does a builder need a licence to take on building and construction projects?

Without a registration, you can perform small building works. But for most professional building works, you need to be a registered builder. A builder’s licence in Victoria is called a builders registration. The name and requirements vary from state to state.

With a registration, you can:

  • Do domestic building work that costs more than $10,000
  • Carry out reblocking, restumping, demolition work or removal of a home (at any cost)
  • Do more than one type of building work that costs more than $10,000

Builders registrations are managed and regulated by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA).

Before getting registered, you need to make sure you satisfy all the eligibility requirements. You’ll need to have a mix of experience and qualifications. Then you can complete your application, get registered, and start making money.

Which type of builders registration should I get?

There are heaps of different types of building registrations in Victoria. For each one, you need a different set of skills, knowledge and experience. To help narrow it down for you, here are the most common types of registration: 

Domestic builder registrations

  • Domestic Builder (Unlimited)
  • Domestic Builder (Limited)
  • Project Manager (Domestic)

Commercial builder registrations

  • Commercial Builder (Unlimited)
  • Commercial Builder (Limited)

Remember: the type of registration you get limits you to that type of building work. For example, if you get a domestic building registration, you can’t do commercial works, and vice versa.

Do I need to do a builders licence course?

Yes, but the type of qualification you need (certificate, diploma or degree) depends on the type of builder you want to be.

While each building registration has its own eligibility requirements, all of them have the following minimum requirements:

  • Some sort of training (could be a certificate, diploma, degree, or just a few units)
  • 3 years of full-time experience in the category you’re applying for
  • An application with proof of experience

To find out the eligibility requirements for the type of building work you want to do, visit the VBA website.

Benefits of studying a builders licence course

While some study is required for most builder registrations, there are other benefits to doing building courses.

The process of doing your VBA registration application can be very complex. Doing a certificate or diploma can help you avoid failing your application and having to do it twice.

By doing a building certificate or diploma, you get support from expert mentors and teachers while completing your registration application. You can even take units that help you with the application process. 

Here are a few options:

Should I do a carpentry apprenticeship?

If you haven’t yet started out as a tradie and want to kick off your career, the CPC30220 Certificate III in Carpentry is for you.

This certificate makes you eligible to apply for a few different types of builders registrations, including Domestic Builder (Limited to Carpentry).  

Later, if you want to do further study or look for supervisor jobs, you can do a cert IV, diploma or degree. While the cert III is not necessarily a requirement for further studies, it can help shorten your cert IV or diploma through recognition of prior learning (RPL).

Should I study a Cert IV in Building and Construction?

If you’ve completed a cert III and/or have more than 3 years of work experience in the building industry, then the CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is for you. The cert IV is geared towards builders who want to work on low-rise construction work.

Like the cert III, the cert IV makes you eligible to apply for Domestic Builder Registration (Limited to Carpentry), and some other types of registrations. But the cert IV has two advantages…

The cert IV prepares you to apply for your registration. At BAA, we offer units on the registration process and a dedicated mentor to help you with your application.

Should I study a Diploma of Building and Construction?

If you want to work as a construction manager or supervisor on a mid-rise up to three-story building and construction project, the CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) is for you.

It qualifies you to apply for the Domestic Builder (Unlimited) registration.

The diploma also opens doors for you to do jobs like project supervisor, building manager, site supervisor, construction surveyor or estimator. It can also be your stepping-stone to a degree.

How to get a builders licence in Victoria

As you can see, getting your building registration in Victoria is not a simple process. Some training is required, and the type of training depends on the type of builder you want to be.

Studying building courses also helps you to pass your application the first time around. For example, BAA’s cert IV is a builder’s licence course that gives you mentorship and training to help you get registered. Still not sure which is the right course for you? Our friendly staff can help. Give us a call 1300 LEGEND (1300 534 363) or request a callback today.


This article has been revised and updated 12th May 2022.